our first video recorder -Ferguson 8922 - retrofinds

I came across some pictures the other day on the web of our very first video recorder. The Ferguson 8922 VHS Video Recorder. I think it was 1980 when we got our first video recording machine


Anyway the Video shop had just opened up around the corner where you could actually rent videos for three nights. So I asked my Dad if I could have a film to watch to which he said yes. I remember the very first film that I hired and watched on video. It was Battle Beyond The Stars with George Peppard and Richard Thomas.

Although the film was poor I didn't care because it was fantastic to watch a film when I wanted to, I could pause the film and have a toilet break and there were no commercial breaks. I was also given my own blank tape. A E60 vhs cassette. This was amazing. I filled it with everything, at first cartoons etc then parts of movies. I wrote on the spine of the tape "Robs tape - do not touch". I broke the tab and would use sellotape to cover up the hole when I wanted to record something. Eventually I had a two hour tape and just managed to squeeze full length movies on and managed to get Star Wars on there. Imagine being able to watch Star Wars when you wanted - Incredible. The tapes got a lot of use but my Dad insisted on using Scotch videotapes as he said they would never fade or damage the VCR. Remember this advert?



We were really lucky to have a video recorder so early. One day I went over my friends house who also just got a video recorder. I was amazed to see that his had something called a remote controller. He could operate the video from his chair. I do recall though that the remote controller was attached to the video recorder via a long wire that would trail across the room. Still I thought it was amazing that you didnt have to get up. Also was amazed me is his video has "one touch record". He could just press one button to start recording. On our video we had the "piano keys" and had to press record and play down to start recording.
The tuning buttons. For some reason we had to retune the channels every so ofter as it would just slight go out of tune. Also again for some reason that task fell to me to do. I got to know the ins and outs of the video recorder so whenever there was a problem or someone needed a video tuning in they asked me.

Thanks to : http://www.rewindmuseum.com/home.htm for these wonderful photos. Check out the site. It its an amazing collection.
Please feel free to comment on this blog or leave your memories of your first video recorder.
star wars retrofinds collect all 21 70's 80's old video recorder vintage

Comments

  1. I remember that Scotch video tape advert!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, Memories.... Great site by the way, Have been loving it. I actually had the same video recorder. As you said, It was just mind blowing at the time. I also had my own tape with my name on it. I started off filling it with Tom & Jerry Cartoons. I would try to time it and cut out the opening and closing credits but getting it just right was very hard with that machine as when you pressed stop the tape would actually go back a bit so you would have to time it just right. Later on I used my tape for episodes of 'The Young Ones'. lol Those really were the days. As for the eject button on that thing, It could have taken your eye out if you were too close! It really did spring up fast! (Well, Ours did). My dad also got all of those fake books to keep all of our tapes in as he said it looked better. I'm sure they came in a few colours, one of which was green but ours were like a wooden colour as it went with our Colour TV with a wooden surround.

    Keep up the great work on the site!

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, love the photos - did you take them? If you did can you email me at claire.grantham@b1.com Thanks Clairex

    ReplyDelete
  4. i still got mineand its still working

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment